National Summer Institute on Learning Communities
20th National Summer Institute on Learning Communities
Review of applications begins March 1, 2018.
Apply by March 1, 2018, and receive a $25 discount on each registration!
July 9-12, 2018
Send a campus team to this intensive, productive four day institute where you can:
- Create, expand, or improve your learning communities
- Learn how to use learning communities as a high-impact practice for your students
- Align your learning community program with your guided pathways initiative Integrate campus equity goals into your learning community initiative
- Develop an FYE program with coordinated curricular and co-curricular activities
- Design integrative curriculum for general education or developmental courses
- Rethink your curricular and living-learning communities for greater synergy
- Work on strategies to cultivate a greater sense of belonging among first year students
- Create an Action Plan to take back to campus for implementation
Teams usually have 5-8 members, including faculty, student affairs staff, and an academic administrator.
The registration fee ($1375 per team member) includes:
- Housing on campus from Monday through Friday morning (the institute ends after final team presentations Thursday, around 8:00 pm)
- All materials
- All meals (except Wednesday dinner) from dinner on Monday through a "grab-n-go" breakfast on Friday morning
(Teams are responsible for transportation to/from the institute.)
About the Institute
The National Summer Institute on Learning Communities has been held annually since 1998 at The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington. Teams from both 2- and 4 year institutions have found the institute invaluable in creating, expanding, and improving their learning community programs. Participating teams are matched with resource faculty who are leaders in learning community work in higher education.
- Staying on-campus at The Evergreen State College
- Learn more about The Evergreen State College Campus