National Summer Institute on Learning Communities
21st National Summer Institute on Learning Communities
Accepting applications NOW!
July 8-11, 2019
About the Institute
Washington Center’s National Summer Institute on Learning Communities is a 4-day residential institute that has been held annually since 1998 at The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington. Teams from both 2- and 4-year institutions have found the institute invaluable in creating, expanding, and improving their learning community programs. Each year the institute is designed based on teams’ projects and needs. This institute offers your team a place to collaborate away from the distractions of your home campus. Teams usually have 5-8 members, including faculty, student affairs staff, and an academic administrator. Each team creates a 2-year action to take back to campus for implementation. Participating teams are matched with resource faculty who are leaders in learning community work in higher education and have access to other attending teams.
Send a campus team to this residential 4-day institute where you can:
- Create, expand, or improve your learning communities
- Learn how to use learning communities as a high-impact practice for your students
- Align your learning community program with your guided pathways initiative
- Integrate campus equity goals into your learning community initiative
- Develop an FYE program with coordinated curricular and co-curricular activities
- Design integrative curriculum for general education or developmental courses
- Rethink your curricular and living-learning communities for greater synergy
- Work on strategies to cultivate a greater sense of belonging among first-year students
- Close equity gaps in student learning and success
Apply early and SAVE!
The registration fee is $1,400 per team member. Apply by April 1, 2019 and receive a $25 discount on each team members registration.
- All plenaries. workshops, and materials
- Built in team time for team building along with networking with other attending institutions and higher education professions
- Housing on campus from Monday through Friday morning (the institute ends after final team presentations Thursday, around 8:00 pm)
- All meals (except Wednesday dinner) from dinner on Monday through a "grab-n-go" breakfast on Friday morning
(Teams are responsible for transportation to/from the institute.)
Review of applications begins May 1, 2019
- Staying on-campus at The Evergreen State College
- Learn more about The Evergreen State College Campus