Scholarship of Teaching and Learning with an Equity Mindset National Institute
3rd Annual Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) with an Equity Mindset National Institute
This institute is designed for educators from two- and four- year institutions, including faculty from graduate programs, technical programs, basic skills, general education, liberal arts, allied health, and STEM fields. The aim is to develop our capacity to understand and improve student learning opportunities within all teaching contexts by:
- Using critically conscious, self-aware, and collaborative practices of inquiry;
- Challenging inequities while recognizing the community cultural wealth of all students; and
- Engaging in systematic scholarly investigation and analysis of learning (SoTL).
Creating a more equitable learning environment is no small task, but it can be achieved in small steps that have large and lasting consequences. The scholarship of teaching and learning can be a vehicle towards accomplishing this goal. This Institute brings together the idea of inquiry as stance, with concepts of how we build more equitable teaching environments and how we develop better understanding of the learning landscape.
The institute is designed to help you:
- Learn how to use an equity framework;
- Build the capacity to conduct classroom inquiry;
- Prepare to engage in the scholarship of teaching and learning;
- Come to a better understanding of your students and their cultural assets;
- Work collaboratively to build a community of practice;
- Develop and refine an inquiry project to pursue in your classroom practice; and
- Engage with resource faculty who will support your journey.
This residential institute provides participants with a carefully coordinated mix of plenaries, workshops, and focused work time for developing an inquiry that examines, improves, and supports what happens in the classroom. Experienced educators will facilitate small and large group sessions and work directly with participants to develop inquiry projects.