Summer Institute for Improving Undergraduate Education
The Washington Center Summer Institute for Improving Undergraduate Education offers your campus team the time and support to develop a two-year action plan for your campus initiative. You bring a team of invested people with knowledge about an issue that matters on your campus. We will provide skillful coaching and thought-provoking opportunities to learn from well-known experts.
Our approach is anchored in the assumption that equity-focused initiatives sustain success when they attend to three critical areas for guiding and managing change:
- defined outcomes that close equity gaps for students,
- professional learning opportunities to support the individuals charged with implementation, and
- a commitment to continuous improvement that is responsive to data and evidence.
The institute employs a process designed to get teams to success. This process is undergirded by several guiding principles
- Tailored supports: The topics for sessions and expertise of resource faculty are selected in response to teams needs. Teams receive significant coaching from experts as they work together to build their plan.
- Strong teams: Successful teams have diverse perspectives and campus roles; work through difference with the understanding that the end product will be better for it; and represent critical constituencies on their campuses.
- Time to think and plan: The one thing most teams don’t have at home is dedicated time together. The summer institute provides time away from campus, giving them the space and time to dig deep collectively.
A supportive network: No plan is bullet-proof. When teams hit hurdles or need help, they can fall back on the network of talented resource faculty and peers they develop at the institute.